It’s interesting that many people cannot type in the most efficient way. I learnt to type as a child, and then professionally after university. I wish that I had been properly taught when I was in high school, because I would have been able to get my assignments done a lot quicker. Nowadays, for any job in an office or government department in western countries, you need to show a certificate of typing achievement. What typing speeds do you need?
- For typical government jobs: About 25 words per minute (wpm)
- The average typist does about 41 wpm
- Men about 44 wpm, women 38 wpm
- About half of the population cannot exceed 50 wpm
- Fastest ever was Stella Pajunas in 1946 at 216 wpm on an electronic typewriter.
- The Dvorak keyboard is about twice faster than the common Qwerty type.