How to write an opinion paragraph. Inside a hamburger paragraph, there are three types of supporting sentences: opinion, factual example, and interpretation. First, look at the example below.
- How to write a simple opinion paragraph (by Andrew; 8mins)
- Writing an opinion paragraph (by Mrjudysclass; 9min)
- Opinion paragraphs (by Maria Vidot; 1:30min)
- How to write the OSSLT opinion essay (Cawthra Park S. S. Library; 2:30min)
There are three parts to follow:
|1. Opinion||It should be considered that The Body Shop is the best cosmetic company.|
|2. Factual examples||For instance, it was the first to produce organic products like hand creams, and scrubs . These products do not contain dangerous chemicals, and so they are healthy for our bodies. Most regular shampoos contain chemicals that negatively affect the neurochemicals in our brains , but Body Shop shampoos do not.|
|3. Interpretation||Therefore, The Body Shop started a safe and healthy products trend that other companies like L’occitane has since copied.|
|References||(Especially from the factual examples, and put at end of article)|
- “It should be considered that…” indicates the start of an opinion.
- “For instance, …” shows the start of the examples. Can use direct and indirect quotes, and must include references.
- “Therefore,…” indicates the start of interpretation.
Second, identify which of these sentences should be used as opinion, factual example, or interpretation.
- However, Starbucks is located in 66 countries, whilst Tully’s is in four countries.
- Therefore, Tully’s is a better option if you plan to take your date out for coffee.
- In a survey of my classmates, 7 out of ten preferred the flavour of a Tully’s coffee.
- About 56% women like the interior design of Tully’s more than Starbucks.
- Tully’s is the better café company than Starbucks.
- A cup of Starbucks coffee is more expensive than a cup from Tully’s.
- Tully’s cappuccinos taste better than Starbucks.
Third, write this into a paragraph.
Fourth, choose your own topic, and make your own opinion paragraph.
Finish this: Writing an Opinion Paragraph.doc.