These make writing more interesting, as they show the creativity of the writer, and help us see the world a little differently.
Simile: Says that something is similar to another thing. Use “like” or “as”. Example, “Yuki is as cute as a kitten”, “Chiho is as gentle as a lamb”.
Metaphor: Say that something is equal something else. Use “is” or language of certainty. “As Andrew talked, Haruka faded off to sleep”, “He drowned in a sea of grief”.
Personification: Gives non-human things human-like characteristics. Example, “The stars danced in the moonlit sky”, “The popcorn leapt out of the bowl”, “Andrew’s classes are so great that time flies”.
Write S for simile, M for metaphor, or P for personification for the examples of your own, and then make three more examples of your own (see a book or the internet for ideas).
- _P_ The wind sang through the meadow. (this sounds nice/
- ___ Daiki feels a little blue today. (she is happy/sad)
- ___ Kyoka is as hungry as a horse. (he wants a lot/little food)
- ___ Mayu had her heart broken yesterday. (this is good/sad)
- ___ Saki was as sick as a dog last night. (this is good/bad)
- ___ The sun glared down on us at the beach. (this is bright/dark)
- ___ Time crept by. (this is fast/slow)
- ___ Miku was as proud as a peacock with her A plus. (this is great/bad)
- ___ My brothers fight like cats and dogs. (this is often/rarely)
- ___ My girlfriend is the light of my life. (this is good/bad)
- ___ My alarm clock sprang to life at 6am. (this is surprising/dreary)
Look up Katy Perry’s Firework, and read through the lyrics, how many similes, metaphors, and personifications can you find?
More metaphors, http://www.metaphors.com/.
Make your own
There are many ways to make your own. These are some easy ways to make your own examples.
- A person’s mood: Describe their eyes. Eg: “His eyes were as cold as ice”
- A person’s mood: Use a colour. Eg: “His face burned red with anger”
- The weather: A human hobby. Eg: “The wind danced with her hair”
- The weather: A human place or object. Eg: “Today is going to be like a sauna outside”.
- Simile, http://examples.yourdictionary.com/simile-examples-for-kids.html.
- Metaphor, http://examples.yourdictionary.com/metaphor-examples.html.
- Personification, http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-personification.html.
Ideas from John Howrey