For Nagoya based teachers, researchers, and JALT members, please tell us when the best time for you to attend Nagoya JALT meetings at this survey: https://goo.gl/forms/3ThnWjA8VkXQNIFm2.
This abstract was originally posted at the Nagoya JALT website. This page contains the workshop blurb and support materials. Thanks to all those who came, and QSR International Japan for sponsoring the main workshop by Prof. Yuzo Kimura.
How to do simple qualitative data analysis for small research projects on paper
- Andrew Blyth
- B.Sc, CELTA, MA.ELT, PhD (Ed; candidate)
- University of Canberra, and Nanzan University
This is a simple introduction to qualitative data analysis for professional development for novice researchers, and for those wanting a better understanding of the research process. This workshop teaches and practices basic concepts of data analysis, coding (categorising), and basic concepts of theory making. The workshop is ideal for very small projects. Also, acquiring the fundamentals for larger projects including interview based research, classroom observations, discourse analysis, ethnography, and more. Furthermore, it provides the basic principles for understanding the next workshop which focuses on using Nvivo for qualitative research. Participants are not required to bring any particular materials or equipment for this workshop.
- PowerPoint slides: Blyth2017 Introduction to Qualitative data analysis.
- Handout: Blyth2017 Introduction to Qualitative Data Analysis Handout.
- Creswell, J (2009) Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches. California, USA: Sage Publications.
- Dörnyei, Z. (2007) Research Methods in Applied Linguistics (Oxford Applied Linguistics). Oxford University Press.
- Henrich, N. & Holmes, B. (2013). Web news readers’ comments: Towards developing a methodology for using on-line comments in social inquiry. Journal of Media and Communication Studies, 5(1).
- Miles, M., and Huberman, A. (1994) An Expanded Sourcebook: Qualitative Data Analysis (2nd Edition). Thousand Oaks, USA: Sage Publications.
- Mitchell, C. (2011) Doing Visual Researching. Sage Publications.